Hello 2019!! I am so happy you’re here. The prospect of a brand new year is nerve-wracking but I’m welcoming it with open arms. I’m leaving the absolute sh*t show that was 2018 in the past and crossing all my fingers and toes that 2019 will be even just a tiny bit better. I don’t want to go into too much detail about why 2018 was the absolute pits because that’s all soppy and not a great way to go into the new year, so lets collectively give a bit of a screw you to 2018 and move on to brighter things this year!!
To really hammer home the “change” aspect of the New Year I figured it would be the perfect time to give my blog a makeover!! It’s been 2 years now that sophiemaie.com has looked the same and I was over it. The theme I had before was lovely but it just wasn’t “me” anymore. I want my blog to have that warm and cozy feeling, like it’s a little escape from the world and everything can be just a little bit lighter even for just a moment. After spending quite a few hours changing, rearranging and perfecting all the different aspects I’m completely over the moon. You may have noticed the sunflowers sprinkled throughout and that’s purely because I just bloody love sunflowers, they’re these giant bright yellow flowers and are the epitome of warm and cozy, so why wouldn’t I pop them here and there on my blog to bring that little bit of sunshine here too.
I think one of my issues that contributed with the lack of consistency the past year is that it didn’t feel authentic. I didn’t want to spend time writing posts only for them to look like they weren’t even written by me. Everything was too clinical and dull, like they were being pushed out and plastered onto the internet without the cozy just chatting with a friend factor, which is what I really love about blogging. The warmth and lightness I feel looking at my blog and writing this now is such an amazing feeling that I haven’t had in such a long time. I feel like it’s an actual representation of me at my brightest now, rather than who I was two years ago.
Now let’s get onto the “resolutions” part of the post. I prefer to call it goals rather than resolutions as if you’re anything like me the resolutions stick for maybe the first three days of January if I’m lucky. Goals, however, are achievable and I can follow a plan to reach them so we’re gonna go with Goals for this year.
My New Years Goals
- Put aside time every day to read, even if its only for 10 minutes. I hardly read at all in 2018 and there are so many amazing books on my to-read list so I actually want to make a dent in them this year.
- Try to keep my room clean. Already not off to a great start with this one seeing as my room is a tip, but if I start at the bottom I can only go up right?
- When I have some free time actually use it to work on my blog. My free time last year became Netflix and eating time. I know there’s no way that’ll completely stop in 2019 but in order to keep up with my blog and get it to where I want it to be I need to actually dedicate time to working on it.
- Write at the bare minimum one post a week. January is going to be hopefully three posts a week but when I do go back to uni I may have to drop that down a bit so I can cope. I want to work really hard to not miss a week the whole year and I think that’s achievable if I put in the effort.
- Actually take care of myself. Do things that I know will make me feel lighter like spending time with my dog or watching a feel good movie rather than freaking myself out with black mirror constantly (although a good little adrenaline rush can’t hurt every now and then). I had a pretty bad year in terms of taking care of myself and I know I’m not going to be perfect and I can’t expect myself to feel okay 24/7 because let’s be real it’s not going to happen, but just making sure I’m as okay as I can be needs to be more of a priority.
- Stay organised!! I have a planner and unlike last year I’m actually going to use it this year.
- Just get shit done. I procrastinate to the point of no return and it really takes its toll on me mentally. Even just getting one assignment done before the day its due would be a good start.
- Get a damn tattoo, I have put off getting one for way too long so I need to just say f*ck it and go and get one (hopefully this will be checked off very soon).
So there we have it 8 goals for the upcoming year. I want to wish every single one of you all the joy and love the world has to offer and hope 2019 brings you so much happiness. Lets go into this year together and absolutely smash it hey, who’s with me?!